Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sheep Hunting Trip

 First off I said I need to catch a Kenai Sockeye Salmon and there are some right there, one cast later I had this spawned red and green female in my hands.

Brendan and I had been planning on flying into the mountains to chase Dall Sheep.  After a few days of rain and then more days of wind we were told we were not going to be able to fly.  So, we found and area (a secret area) and hiked the 7-8 miles into the valley.


 We also had tags for Moose and Black Bear, we did see a black bear but opted to chase the sheep

 We got to the back of the valley and had to navigate a route up the head wall.  It was exposed over a sheer cliff and we did not have any ropes but I climbed the most intense rock I have ever attempted.  We got to the top just as the sun was going down.
Sunset
 Sunrise
 This is where we slept.  We wanted to pack light so we did not have a tent, sleeping bag or stove.  we were out of water for 24 hours.  "Sheep Hunting does not have to be comfortable"

 The sheep we spotted from the valley were no where to be seen.  however, we did see lots of mountain goats.  we actually got within 15yds of a billy.
 This is a view of the headwall we scaled.

Sure was an excellent trip into the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment