Friday, October 14, 2011

Welcome to Everett Patrick Wuoti from Prudhoe Bay

 Well the middle Wuoti brother, Brian and his wife Katy sent me a text yesterday that Katy was going in for an emergency C-section and they were going to deliver their first baby.  Knowing they were not due until December 6th (my birthday) my anxiety grew as I said a prayer and called Amanda with the news.  A few hours later Everett Patrick Wuoti was in the world and doing well, the new parents were exhausted and also doing well and the family was relieved.  "Rett" was brought to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH to spend the next few weeks "to finish cooking" while Katy had to stay in Brattleboro, VT before she could be discharged.  this truly was a gift and a blessing and we can't wait to meet the little guy in a few weeks.
 Certainly less surprising than the news from my Brother was that I was in Deadhorse, AK (70 degrees north latitude) working for Exxon.  This is where all the Oil in Alaska comes from and then is pumped down the pipeline.  This winter is looking like it is going to be the biggest exploratory / production year since the 1970's.
  It was below zero with 10-20mph winds (good thing I had arctic gear).  I did not get to see any Polar Bear, Caribou or Musk Oxen.  I did see a handful of foxes.  Most of the folks up here work 2 weeks on and then have 2 weeks off.  I was only here for one night so I did not get the "full experience" nor did I see air temps of -60 degrees.  However, I feel it will not be my last trip to that part of the world.   The work conditions are tuff, the hours long, but the days off and the BIG paychecks are very enticing.  Most of the guys I had working for me do not live in Alaska, they fly up here to work every 2 weeks.  Even the truck driver I had hired was from Maine and has been coming up here for 10 years.

 This vehicle is used to "pack down" the ice roads.

 Man Camp.  I was actually in a really nice place.  Cable TV, WiFi, Gym, Housekeeper, Cook with a fully stocked kitchen and fridge that had a "help yourself to anything" policy.

This last pic Amanda took on Tuesday on our ride home from Anchorage as the full moon rose over the Chugach Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment