Sunday, October 9, 2011

Talkeetna - where the road ends and life begins.

 After a morning of chores and errands, we hit the road north to Talkeetna.  Our plan was to go to the West Rib for a pint of Ice Axe Ale (9.2%) and a plate of Satan's Revenge Wings.


The West Rib is named after a climbing route up Denali.  The walls of the pub are covered in climbers paraphernalia and graffiti.  In 2008; after a week on the Kahiltna Glacier where nighttime temps where minus 30 degrees, avalanches, crevasses  and a flight on a 5 person plane  (I was convinced I was not getting out alive),  Brendan and I flew back to Talkeetna and I had a burger and a pint here that was the best food or drink I have ever tasted.  I have so much respect for that mountain and for folks who climb it.


 Denali Brewing Company
 Fairview Inn - bluegrass, cheap drinks, rowdy crowd.  Notice the boots on the wall near the curtains.  they are an prosthetic legs.
 I have never seen a Pine Tree that changes color.
We were having so much fun we decided that we should not drive the 50 miles back home so we got a room and had a few more drinks.  Knowing we had to rush home early since the dog would have been left in the house all night...we got up early and had a special treat with the sun rising turning Denali pink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment