Thursday, June 2, 2011

Toksook Bay, Ak

So Jay had to fly to Bethel, AK and then charter a plane to Toksook Bay for work.  This was an easy job, the logistics of shipping Hazardous Waste from a remote Yupik village of 300 people was not so easy.
This is our plane.  While in Bethel I was approached by a producer for the TV show "Flying Wild Alaska"  they wanted to film our day, we could not get any answers from our clients boss or mine so the answer was no.  I did let the camera man ride with us to film the flight.  Hey, might have been my last moments...might as well document it.


I have only flown in small planes a handful of times.  This is really flying, you are tossed around, you feel every bump, and we landed in a crosswind on a gravel runway on the Bearing Sea.  I was also to hold to hold my breakfast down too.
 Toksook Bay, AK
 The small clean up job for the National Guard
 My helper
 Riding on top of HazMat on the back of a 4-wheeler.  No Cops, Troopers or DOT round these parts.
 Lets fill this death trap of a plane with Flammable Liquids.
Back in Bethel, all the "plumbing" is above ground because of the permafrost.  However it just leads to an open air pit out in the tundra.  I left Anchorage at 7am and was back in Anchorage at 10pm., sure was a strange day.  Seeing these remote places is really humbling that "American" citizens live like this.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to the little planes but it really was not a bad flight.  Back to the office...can't wait to work remote again.

No comments:

Post a Comment