Sunday, June 26, 2011

6/24 - 6/25

So this weekend Amanda had a lot of office work to do and somehow she even found time to clean the whole house...as we all know she is a keeper.  We both got to catch up with folks this weekend and had the pleasure to hear all sorts of great news. (little baby Allred due 12/18, close friends wedding 5/19 and another close friend giving a ring to a special lady).  Jay got some combat fishing in at Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage.  there were close to 1000 people shoulder to shoulder, my 8 foot pole could touch 2 people on either side of me, I have never fished like this before, having to time a cast with the folks next to you and the folks on the other side of the river.  The muddly silt lining this river is thigh deep in spots  and it is tricky, however the salmon were there.  I had 4 hook ups and landed 2.  Both were big in my book (15 lbs) but I tossed them back (can only keep one King Salmon a day) to try to land the 40-60lbs fish that were in the river.  like they say "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"  I ended the weekend without anything to bring home.  However, since I was landing fish, folks were asking me for info on how to fish (Ha!)  Had a blast finally catching fish.  Sunday evening I found an inflatable canoe on craigslist which we can't wait to use.
 Amanda making a pass on the Park Highway.
 This is Ship Creek outside our office.  This section is off limits to fishing.  Sure is tempting when there are 30 salmon stacked up in the pool  (notice the shadows in the center of the pic, toward the bottom where the water gets deep)
Most of the river running up here is done with white water rafts or Aluminum Jet Boats.  So despite our love for traditional canoes or hard body kayaks, this is going to be the perfect vessel for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment