Sunday, August 12, 2012

Denali Hwy Caribou Hunt

With the opening day of caribou season and Amanda working, I headed to the Denali Highway.  I have  a federal subsistence permit for caribou and was eager to hunt.  I have been planning this hunt for months and was going to use my bow.  It turned out to be a circus, lots of people, all with four wheelers and rifles and no caribou for me.  I am going to go back in a few weeks and spend a few more days.  It turned out to be a great weekend for camping and touring around, the total mileage driven was over 500...not all was lost


Tundra
 Sustina River



 Maclaren River and Glacier
Can you see the caribou?  Middle of the picture, toward the left side.  
 How about now?
 I was watching this caribou along with another couple.  Then this truck pulled up, 3 guys jump out and take a shot.  400yds!  and the caribou dropped in its tracks.  I say "nice shootin" and they reply "snooze you loose".  Are you kidding me.  I had no intention to take that animal.  Funny thing was the guy who shot was not holding the rifle properly and when the gun "kicked' the scope landed on his forehead and he had blood running down his face.

 Can't wait to head back when caribou out number people.

No comments:

Post a Comment